Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Boat Life: STILL AFLOAT


Where did I leave off? It's been awhile since I've blogged about the boat life, so it's time I bring you up to speed. We've settled in quite well. Living on a sailboat brings with it mostly perks, however there are a few things I would change if I could. My favorite part of this lifestyle is having less. Yes, I said that. Seriously,  it has been exhilerating to remove stuff you truly don't need from your life. Confession: I do utilize the trunk of my car for extra shoes, and purses etc- a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. Then there's the fact that I've never slept better in my entire life. Our state room is cozy, and the lull of the boat along with the distant sounds of halyards cling clanging among the marina makes for a peaceful rest. Sunrises from my 'back porch' (cockpit) are a wonderous sight to take in every morning as I keave for work. Returning from work the view towards downtown boasts a majestic sunset almost daily. Now, lets  discuss the cold and rain. Well, we're toasty warm inside as we have heat (&a/c) but I could do without the rain. I love a rain shower here and there, but lately we've had alot of it, which brings along with it dampness; and strategic leaks. We've purchased a dehumidifier and are learning along the way how to keep our home comfortable and welcoming.  Our walks to the nearby market, and all that downtown has to offer is amazing. We take advantage of walking, bike riding and of course sailing whenever we can. Both of us have lost weight which is a plus. Then there's always some type of excitement happening at the marina. One evening we came home, as we're walking down the dock we hear someone yelling for help from a distant dock. My hubby ran over to the next dock to find a man in the water near his boat who couldn't save himself from his epic fall. Needless to say hubs pulled this guy out of the water to safety. I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be living on a boat,  but I'm sure glad I am. It's not for everyone; as it requires a total mindset change. Most people are intrigued and I believe they wish they could do it. Others aren't sure how or why we do it. My goal is to pursue my passion for writing and inspire others. Our goal is to work less,  enjoy life more, and bring simplicity to a world that is constantly striving for excess; which in turn causes stress. Start small, declutter, write down one goal, follow a dream and find adventures. I promise you, it will change your life for the better.
Photo credit: April K Corbett


No comments:

Post a Comment