Saturday, February 6, 2016

Relish Please


Today my daughter & I spent the day together. I cannot express enough how proud I am of her progress. The days when I could only wish and pray she would speak to me, respond,  and converse. Her speech was always delayed but increased over time; from single words, to repeating, to full sentences. If I would prompt her about a subject she might say a few words about it. Now she is answering questions,  speaking on her own about a subject, and even saying funny tidbits that are right on point. When I hear that sweet voice say 'that's MY mom, or I love you mom, or really anything I melt, because there was a time I wasn't so sure I'd ever hear those things. I still sometimes wonder what she is thinking, what she wishes she could say but can't. Today we sang, we danced, we talked, and we laughed - then we laughed some more. As I listened to my sweet T's giggles I didn't think about her delays, her struggles, her seizures, her autism, her medications,  or any of it; instead I soaked in that beautiful moment. I wish I could have relished sooner, instead of worrying about it all. Don't get caught up in the worry. Yes, it's ok to at times, it's what we do. But we must relish in the moments we are given before we realize they've passed us by.   by April K Corbett

No comments:

Post a Comment