Saturday, June 25, 2016

Addictions

So I shared this photo for the first day of SUMMER because it reminded me of the lake I used to go to as a kid with my mom,  dad,  & brother, but my sister was younger &  didn't have that experience.  So her memory of the lake was our ex step dad.  He was a good guy,  but an alcoholic. For many years I was somehow granted the duty of protecting my brother and sister from his craziness. This day was the day I confirmed to Dennis & placed his mind at ease, that I forgave him for his drinking,  his blackouts,  his abuse towards our mom (that was unwillingly allowed) .  It's not pretty.  But it's real. He was drunk even then. Shortly after he passed away because his organs shut down. That's what's real to me.  He knew I forgave him and he finally forgave himself.  Sadly it was too late.  I forgive,  but I can't forget.  Love you Dennis,  RIP.  See you when I see you.  *If you or someone you love is an alcoholic please know there is help.

2 comments:

  1. Hello April! First off, that is a beautiful picture and makes me want to go fishing! lol!

    I've dealt with alcoholic family members since childhood, so I can relate to this post very well. It isn't a pretty picture and most come away scarred for life. Some will deal it and have the strength and support to set boundaries and better their lives, but unfortunately others won't. I'm so happy that you were one of the fortunate ones and can now speak out to help others who may be dealing with similar problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely photo. I didn't go to too many lakes as a kid as I couldn't swim and my father was terrified of having me around the water. I do remember a few times, though. :)

    There's a history of alcohol and drugs in my family line as well. Not always easy to deal with and sometimes, as CJ says, setting healthy boundary lines are the best...even when it's hard.

    ReplyDelete